When you first start to cook completely from scratch, all notions of “fast food” goes right out the window. How many times have you had a busy day and your hubby comes home at 5 and asks, “Where’s supper?” and it’s all you can do not to throw the frying pan at him…
Let’s try not to get to that point ever again! Together we are going to brainstorm what I’m going to call, “Country Style Fast Food”. These are foods that you have to make and you can’t use any quick fixes from the store. I’ll start with a list and you can add more in the comments!
- Instant Oatmeal Packets
- Scrambled Eggs
- Pancakes (with pre-mixed homemade pancake mix)
- Smoothies (Or homemade Orange Julius)
Lunch & Supper
- PB&J Sandwich (with homemade bread and homemade jelly!)
- Loaded Potatoes (potatoes take just minutes to cook either on the stovetop or in the microwave)
- Pork and Beans
- Refried Bean Bowls
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich (with homemade bread)
- Pasta (or Rice Pasta) with Tomato Gravy
The idea is simple, just focus on foods that take very little prep work. Carrot sticks, hard boiled eggs, sliced apples or oranges. As close to the way nature made them the faster they are to prepare!
Don’t forget that you can make a variety of make ahead meals that you can store in the freezer for fast and easy meals. Another thing I like to do is have pre-made mixes on hand to make it easier on me for things I do have to bake!
Need more help with meal planning?
It's your turn, share your favorite "fast foods" in the comments!
Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate. See my disclosure policy for more information.