Ice cream is such a yummy summer treat. My husband and I love using out ice cream maker to make delicious frozen ice cream.
One weekend this summer, I had my niece & nephew over to play and we made our own homemade ice cream freezer by using a bag. Although I have an ice cream maker at home, sometimes you just need a quick, fun way to make simple ice cream. They loved it! What a simple way to make a delicious treat & to entertain a kid. I would recommend it to anyone.
Homemade Ice Cream and Homemade Ice Cream Freezer
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup of milk (or half-and-half)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- rock salt
- quart-sized ziploc
- gallon-sized ziploc
- Pour milk, sugar, & vanilla into the quart-sized ziploc.
- Dump ice & rock salt into gallon-sized ziploc.
- Place smaller bag into bigger one (insuring the small bag is completely closed)
- Close bigger bag.
- Shake, toss, jiggle, etc the bags around for 5-10 minutes. (My husband and the kids played football for awhile outside)
- Once the ice cream inside is the consistency of soft-serve ice cream, the job is done.
- Pour the ice cream into a bowl, or serve straight from the ziploc bag. (We ate ours over a warm brownie!)
- Add your favorite ice cream toppings.
Do you have other methods of making your own ice cream? I have heard of using a method similar to this, but instead of using ziploc bags, you use different sizes of tin cans with lids, and you can roll the cans on the floor. That would be fun with young kids, too! So many options and they are all so nice an inexpensive! It's good to know we don't have to depend on an ice cream maker to make homemade ice cream.
Here's another great homemade ice cream recipe we've posted for Frugal Ice Cream.
Have you ever made your own homemade ice cream freezer? What is your favorite ice cream to make at home?
Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate. See my disclosure policy for more information.9:00 am