Tropical Traditions approached me recently to try their Whole Golden Flaxseeds. Flaxseed is an excellent source of Omega 3, it’s sold whole to keep in the nutrition and you just grind them up before you use them. Some benefits of flax are:
- Flaxseed has a high ratio of Linolenic (Omega-3) to Linoleic (omega-6) fatty acids. While many other plant seeds contain a higher ratio of omega-6 fats, flaxseed is the one of the few seeds that contains a much higher ratio of the essential omega-3 fats.
- Flaxseed oil is one of the richest sources of OMEGA-3 fatty acid, Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) an ESSENTIAL FATTY ACID (EFA). This fatty acid is considered essential, meaning that your body cannot make it but requires it and so must derive all of it from the diet. The average American diet is lacking in this fat. Supportive but not conclusive research shows that consumption of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. One serving of Organic Whole Flaxseed provides 9 grms of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids.
- Golden Flaxseed is unique in that 48% of its total fat content is omega-3 fatty acids.
- Flaxseed contains very high amounts of DIETARY FIBER, both SOLUBLE and INSOLUBLE. Golden Flaxseed is 28%-35% fiber, 1/3 of which is soluble, and the other 2/3 insoluble. Soluble fiber also plays an important role in maintaining the “good bacteria” in our bowel, like Lactobacillus Acidophilus and Bifidobacteria. Insoluble fiber increases the bulk of stools.
- Flaxseed is an outstanding source of many essential nutrients, including: proteins, carbohydrates, minerals, folate, vitamin B-6, pantothenic acid, magnesium, potassium, iron, thiamine, copper, zinc, calcium and phosphorus.
If you have an allergy to eggs like I do you can also use flaxseed as an egg substitution! Just grind up 1 tablespoon of flaxseed and add it to 3 tablespoons of water. Mix together and add in the place of 1 egg in baking.
You may have seen 2 different colors of flaxseed if you’ve been looking at them lately. The golden flax has a milder flavor than the brown and might make an easier substitute if you are just introducing your family to flaxseed.
One winner will win a bag of Tropical Traditions Organic Golden Flaxseed. Here’s how you can get extra entries:
- Like the Little House Living Facebook page.
- Follow Little House Living on Twitter.
- Get site emails or RSS feeds.
- Share about the giveaway on your Facebook page.
- Share about the giveaway on Twitter.
- Following Tropical Traditions on Twitter.
This giveaway will be open to enter until Sunday, May 22nd at 11:59pm. I will announce the winner on Monday. Go HERE to enter the giveaway form, a comment is not an acceptable form of entry for this giveaway.
(Tropical Traditions provided me with a sample for this review, all thoughts and ideas are my own.)