Truth be told the UPS man has been at my house a little more lately. You can always tell a blogger by the amount of cardboard boxes by their dumpster but not only am I a blogger, I live in the country.
Alot of those packages I’ve been getting are from Amazon. Last year I accidentally forgot to cancel my subscription to Amazon Prime, this year I was more than happy to renew it. Over the last year I used my free Prime shipping on Amazon more times than I could count. It was so worth it!
So why have I been shopping on Amazon so much? It’s simple really. I don’t go to town unless we have a doctors appointment. Lately that’s been more often than I’m used to but I don’t get a chance to run errands anyway because it’s too much to take a baby into all the stores I generally shop at.
Here’s just a few of the reasons I’ve been shopping from home:
1. It’s convenient. No having to get dressed up and get everything and everyone ready to go to the store. I can shop whenever. The nice thing about Prime is that I always have free shipping so I can order one item at a time. Which really helps because I can order things when I remember!
2. It’s fast. 2 day shipping is awesome. Normally by the time I start to make my list and when I finally get to the store it’s been more than a week. So for us, it’s actually much faster to order online then to plan a trip to town.
3. I can buy good brands at lower prices. I buy almost all organics and they are expensive and in a very limited supply here. When I order online I can get them at a lower price and still get the same quality foods.
4. I can stock up without using coupons and without shopping at Sam’s Club. I’m pretty sure that Amazon is generally cheaper than Sam’s Club anyways. I also like the fact that I don’t have to take that extra step and search for coupons.
5. I can buy Made in the USA products! Since Amazon is cheaper and has a better selection than Walmart, I can usually get the same item I was going to buy anyway but a better, Made in the US version!
Now before you start yellin at me for not supporting my local economy, let me tell you how this has helped me do just that. When I do make a trip to town I haven’t been heading to Walmart. With the money I save by not driving to town and buy paying less for the things I’d buy anyways, I’ve been taking my shopping to local businesses when I do get to town. I steer clear of the big box stores and focus on checking out what I can find at the small downtown mom and pop shops. Sometimes I end up finding some great deals! Plus there are many things I can’t buy online like produce, dairy, and refrigerated items so those still have to be purchase in town or from local farmers when they have to be purchased.
Do you do alot of shopping online? How do you balance online shopping to supporting your local economy?