Have a weed problem at your house and need a good homemade weed killer that will actually work?
Homemade Weed Killer
So we’ve taken care of the bug problem in our gardens, but what about weeds? They can be just as much of a terror as the little creepy crawlies. No matter if you have a full blown garden or just a patch of grass-weeds can creep in and mess it all up. Here are some tried and true at-home remedies for homemade weed killer that can help battle these green monsters.
1. Vinegar. This is what we use the most to kill the weeds in our yard. Spray some on a sunny day and watch them burn up. Be careful though not to spray your grass or other plants. (Pick up an empty Spray Bottle if you don’t already have one.)
2. Salt. Placing salt at the base of the plant will cause it to die. Now, this won’t work if you’re in rainy season.
3. Corn Meal. This is an option if you are not wanting ANYTHING to grow in a particular area. Spreading this around will cause any seeds in that area to cease to grow.
4. Burn Them. Running a slight flame (you can actually purchase a weed scorcher) over the weed will cause it to shrivel up and die. This is a pretty serious one!
5. Baking Soda. The added sodium in baking soda will help to kill weeds around your home. Like corn meal, it will kill all of the things around it so make sure that you only get it on the weeds! This is particularly a good method for weeds growing in cracks in sidewalks or driveways.
6. Pull them up. Well, I know this is a “duh” moment, but there’s nothing cheaper than just getting your hands dirty and pulling up the weeds yourself. Some say this is therapeutic- I can’t say I agree!
7. Place down newspaper. This is another method we love. Before planting flowers, we always place a layer of newspaper down in order to keep weeds at bay. This works incredibly well. You do have to replace it after about a year, but that’s okay with us!
8. Rubbing Alcohol. Spraying this on a weed will cause the very life of it to evaporate. Another extremely cheap option.
9. Boiling water. This will kill pretty much anything. Great for larger areas (like driveways) where you want everything to evacuate quickly!
10. Eat them up. I love this idea. Many common weeds can be eaten in a fresh salad like dandelion. Talk about using your resources to your advantage!
Getting rid of weeds doesn’t mean running to the store and purchasing a bunch of chemicals to spray in your yard. As you can see, many items can be found right in your cupboards!
Gardening? You need to check out all of the articles we have on the Gardening 101 page!
The Gardening and Preserving Journal is here! If you are gardening or planning on doing any preserving this year, you NEED this wonderful sprial bound journal! Get your own copy here.
Do you have any other ways you’ve learned to get rid of weeds? Have you ever made your own homemade weed killer?
This Homemade Weed Killer post was originally on Little House Living in July 2013. It has been updated as of May 2020.