Are you finding that you have way too many things and clutter now that the holidays are over? Here are some simple ideas for reducing holiday gift clutter.
Reducing Holiday Gift Clutter
The holidays are over now and the mess is still here. Even though you may have tried to reduce the amount of gifts you gave, that doesn’t stop grandma, aunts and uncles, friends, and more from giving your family way too many things.
If you are like me, you feel like your home is going to burst at the seams from all the STUFF! You feel grateful for the thoughtful people that gave it to you but you just aren’t sure where it’s supposed to go or where it fits in.
I’m one of those that continually likes to clean out and re-organize so if I bring something into my house I usually try and take something else out. If it doesn’t have a place it doesn’t belong in my house! But then gifts come into the picture and you like them but you just aren’t prepared to fit them into your house. Here are some ideas to help you reduce all that holiday clutter and start getting back to your normal organized self.
Ideas for Reducing Holiday Gift Clutter
- Make a place. Like I mentioned above, I really believe in the phrase, a place for everything and everything in its place. If it doesn’t already have a place in my house I will make a place for it. If there is no way to make a place then it needs to leave my house and find a different home.
- For each thing that comes in, something else goes out. I’m not saying you should have a specific number of items in your household but it does help control the clutter when you clean something out for everything that comes in. Maybe you could even take it a step further and get rid of 2 items for each thing you bring in!
- Reduce the amount of décor that you put up next year. Many times we feel like our house is much more full of clutter when we bring in and decorate with all kinds of trinkets and sparkly things. I prefer only to decorate with items that mean something to me. (And I really hate trinkets altogether but that’s another story!)
- For kids toys….pack up a boxful of toys that you want to keep and store them away for a while so they can play with the new ones. In a few months bring them back out again (and pack up others) and it’s like a brand new box of toys all over again!
- Don’t spend your gift cards right away. I know it’s tempting to go out and have a shopping spree but save those gift cards until you find something you really need. A shopping spree now will just add to the clutter!
- Tip for next year…tell your family members to reduce their gift giving to one gift per person. Or tell them that you would rather they not give gifts and give something else altogether (a day trip to the zoo, a spa gift certificate, ect). Here’s how to talk to your family about gifts.
Doing these things will help lessen your stress load and will keep your house cleaner in all of the after-holiday wind-down time.
Find more Organizational Tips on Little House Living.
What are some things that you do to reduce holiday clutter?
Merissa is a born and raised country girl. She loves being a wife and homemaker and strives to give her family the best with whatever she has! She started Little House Living in 2009 to share her love for all things simple, frugal, and natural.
Learn more about Merissa and why she started Little House Living.
This blog post on Reducing Holiday Gift Clutter was originally posted on Little House Living in January 2013. It has been updated as of January 2021.