Homemade Finger Paint
Homemade finger paint is one of those activities that can work for nearly any age. Even older teens and tweens can get into it! If you are looking for a fun activity, but don't have any finger paint on hand, it is simple to make homemade finger paint for just pennies!
Half the fun of homemade finger paint is making it. Just be sure (obviously) to have an adult do the part of the recipe that involves boiling water on the stove top. The most fun part is adding the food coloring, so that should definitely be a group activity.
Spread some newspaper on the ground for messy fun, go outside, or use finger paints in the bathtub for easy clean up. I always like to make these fun activities somewhat educational, so I've done the finger paints on a sheet pan and practiced painting numbers and letters with my children.
This recipe is edible, although it doesn't taste good and I don't recommend ingesting it. If the baby licks it off his finger, though, no worries.
Homemade Finger Paint
What You Need:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups food coloring - I recommend using a natural food coloring like India Tree. Or, you can make your own. Use turmeric for yellow, or beet puree for red (see this post for more information about making beet puree)
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt together. Add the cold water and stir until completely combined.
2. Add the above mixture to a large saucepan filled with 2 cups of boiling water, and boil until the whole mixture is completely smooth. If it doesn't thicken up as it should, you can add cornstarch a tablespoonful at a time to get it to thicken faster.
3. Add the food coloring gradually until it is the color you like.
4. Let cool thoroughly before playtime.
[ois skin="Under Posts Opt In"]
Store in an airtight container, but for best results use immediately.
Visit the DIY page for more fun things to do with kids, such as:
Have you ever tried making homemade finger paint? What was the best natural coloring you came up with?
Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate. See my disclosure policy for more information.6:00 am