This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
I always feel like I post many how-to’s and not many “real lifes”. Although I do try and incorporate that into my newer posts, I’ve often thought that it might be even more helpful for my readership to get a better glimpse inside of what our simple/homestead/from scratch/frugal life really looks like.
Frugal Friday Week #30
So I’ve started a series called Frugal Friday and need your help. My idea for this series is to share some of the projects/recipes/things we worked on this week and, in general, just what life looks like.
I need your help because I’ve tried something similar before, and I gave up after a while. I got bored, felt like no one was reading it or cared, and I moved on to other projects. So what I need you to do each week is to share what your week looked like in the comments section. I think it could keep us ALL accountable and may serve as an encouragement to others!
Here are some of the meals that we enjoyed this week:
- Black Bean Tacos (with homemade tortillas)
- Buffalo Steak with Fried Veggies (a bottom of the freezer find!)
- Breakfast Sandwiches
- Turkey Sandwiches
- Homemade Pudding (my husband had oral surgery)
I’m down to some interesting things in my freezer and pantry that need to be eaten up so our meals are starting to get pretty random!
Shopping We Did
I put in an order from Target this week for a few more groceries to add to the fridge. As I mentioned above, what I have left in the freezer and pantry is pretty random, but we are trying to use it up better with a few additions from the store.
Other than that, not a very exciting week for shopping. My daughter still needs a pair of shoes for the wedding this weekend. We are still trying to make our summer shoes last until they fall apart and then we will switch to new shoes but she does need something for the wedding. 🙂
Not shopping I did this week, but we have had tickets for our favorite band for months now and the concert was finally this week! It was a welcome break during a busy time.
How We Lived Frugal This Week
We’ve been busy lately so we honestly haven’t had much time to do anything else, which I guess is keeping us frugal!
We have officially sold our business, and the takeover is in a month. Training the new family that will be running it has been taking up quite a bit of time. It’s a good thing though! We are excited to see what our next adventure will look like.
We picked what was left in our garden (after deer, MORE hail, and just letting it go for the rest of the summer) yesterday (pretty much only onions, cherry tomatoes, and leeks) so we will work on using those things with our meals. Our first freeze was last night.
We’ve been getting out every day that we can and enjoying the amazing fall temps. Hiking, off-roading, and walking are always our activities of choice since they are free or only cost a little in gas.
Blog Posts I Wrote
- Easy Pumpkin Bread – We love this simple recipe! It’s on my meal plan for this next week.
- Homemade Cleaners Recipes – I updated this post of homemade cleaning supply recipes. They all have just 3 ingredients or less!
- Saving Potato Water – One of the most popular posts on the blog, I always love discovering what to do with things I’d otherwise throw away!
- Easy Pumpkin Cookies with Maple Frosting – These are the perfect fall treat!
- 153+ Grocery Staples You Can Make – If you need some inspiration to cook at home and stay out of the stores, I updated this post for you!
- How to Make Buttermilk – Another way to stay out of the stores, make your own buttermilk for recipes. It’s so easy!
- Scone Mix Recipe – It’s time to start thinking about homemade mixes that we can use for gifts. This is always a fun one to give.
Looking Ahead to Next Week
We will be continuing training for our business takeover next week, and that will take a lot of our time again. I’m still hoping to get out and enjoy some of the nicer days of fall! My brother is also getting married this weekend so we are looking forward to a weekend of family and friends.
So tell me….what did life look like for you this week? What did you do, make, or plan to do?
Merissa has been blogging about and living the simple life since 2009 and has internationally published 2 books on the topic. You can read about Merissa’s journey from penniless to freedom on the About Page. You can send her a message any time from the Contact Page.