Seeing as is traveling season and that I just got back from vacation myself i thought I’d post some thrifty travel ideas. If you’re on a budget this summer and don’t think you’ll be able to travel, check out these tips.
1. If you don’t think you can go far from home check out Trip Advisor. You can pick where you want to go based on how much gas you want to use.
3. Take advantage of free museums and walking or driving tours.
4. Bargain with hotel/motel owners. The least they can do is tell you no and you have to go to the motel across the street.
5. Buy gift certificates ahead of time. Want to eat at a fancy restaurant while on vacation? Purchase a gift certificate from restaurants.com before you go. Just search the city where you are staying.
80% Off w/every $25 Gift Certificate Order when you use code NAPKIN. Pay $2 thru 7/28/09 only at Restaurant.com.
6. Utilize local grocery stores. I hate eating fast food so I like going to the grocery stores to get things that are cheaper, easily made, or more healthy for us.
7. Take a cooler. On our most recent trip I packed a loaf of bread and turkey to make sandwiches every day. I bought local produce to go along with the meal. It was the healthiest I’ve ever eaten on a trip!
8. Camp or check out cabin prices. Visit Recreation.gov view campgrounds and book very cheap cabins. We have used this before to get a cabin in Montana. I believe I paid about $40 per night for a beautiful 8 person cabin complete with 2 bedrooms, a large kitchen and living room, and a pretty stream in the back.
Do you have any cheap trip tips? Share them in the comments section!