This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
Looking for a delicious way to get more veggies into your diet? This Squash Cheddar Biscuit Recipe will make the whole family happy!
Yellow Squash Cheddar Biscuit Recipe
Over the last few weeks, our yellow squash in the garden has started producing. And when I say it’s started producing, I mean seriously.
Last weekend I was able to pawn off a large box full of squash on my visiting family, but each day there is more and more. We love yellow squash, but sometimes it’s hard to keep up with eating it at every meal. Sometimes you want something new and fresh!
But of course, you don’t want the garden veggies that you worked so hard on to go uneaten.
This week I’ve been experimenting with baking with yellow squash, and I’m SO happy with the results! I’ve made some delicious baked goodies and treats that have been a huge hit with my little family. And the best part is that you don’t know that the yellow squash is in the recipe. It’s like a veggie bonus! This Yellow Squash Cheddar Biscuit recipe is one that has gone over really well.
Tip: This Yellow Squash Chocolate Doughnut Recipe is another great way to add veggies into your baked goods.
Ingredients in Yellow Squash Cheddar Biscuit Recipe
- Yellow Squash. Straight from the garden is best! Although you can also use from the freezer if you need to.
- All Purpose Flour. You can use gluten-free flour if you’d like to instead. That’s what I’ve used in my pictures.
- Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt.
- Garlic Powder. This helps give them a bit of flavor! I buy my garlic powder in bulk.
- Butter. If using salted, you can use less salt in this recipe. If using unsalted, keep the salt amounts the same. You can replace with shortening for dairy free.
- Cheddar Cheese. This is what makes them good of course! You can use dairy free cheese if needed although make sure whichever one you buy has a good melt.
- Milk. I use whole milk in this recipe. You can replace with a milk alternative if needed.
Instructions for Making Yellow Squash Biscuits
Start by gathering ingredients. I used fresh yellow squash from the garden but if you want to make this in the winter you can use frozen shredded squash. You could also use zucchini if you don’t have yellow squash.
Mix all the dry ingredients. Add in the shredded squash and stir until coated with the dry ingredients.
Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well. I used my hands to make sure I didn’t leave any clumps in the dough.
There’s no need to turn these biscuits onto a lightly floured surface, we will just drop them right in the pan! Drop with a large cookie scoop into a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish or two 8×8 baking dishes. You should place the biscuits fairly close together.
Stick the biscuits in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes (20 minutes for gluten-free). The biscuits will be brown on the top.
Enjoy these Squash Cheddar Biscuits with a nice slice of butter spread over the top. YUM!
Serving Suggestions for Yellow Squash Biscuits
Serve alongside grilled meats (chicken is particularly good) or as a side dish with a garden-fresh chef salad. Or you can just munch on them as a late-night snack if you have a cheese craving!
You could also use these to make a tasty breakfast sandwich. You could also top them with a sausage gravy for a summer version of biscuits and gravy. Yum!
No matter how to decide to enjoy these I hope you do it soon!
Variations to the Cheddar Yellow Squash Biscuits Recipe
- In the fall, use pumpkin or butternut squash instead of yellow squash. It will be a different flavor but still so good!
- Add bacon bits into the batter before baking.
- Add in some fresh herbs (like thyme) before baking to give it a new flavor profile.
Need to print this Squash Cheddar Biscuit Recipe for your Recipe Binder? Grab it below!
Yellow Squash Cheddar Biscuit Recipe
- 2 cups Yellow Squash shredded
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups Flour (You can use gluten free flour)
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 4 Tablespoons Butter melted
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup Milk
Start by gathering ingredients. I used fresh yellow squash from the garden but if you want to make this in the winter you can use frozen, shredded squash. You could also use zucchini if you don't have yellow squash.
Mix together all the dry ingredients. Add in the shredded squash and stir until coated with the dry ingredients.
Add in the remaining ingredients and mix together well. I used my hands to make sure I didn't leave any clumps in the dough.
Using a large cookie scoop, drop dough onto a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish or two 8x8 baking dishes. You should place the biscuits fairly close together.
Stick the biscuits in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes (20 minutes for gluten free). The biscuits will be brown on the top.
Dairy Free Yellow Squash Biscuits
Replace the butter with shortening or vegan butter and replace the milk with a milk alternative. The cheese will have to be replaced with a dairy free cheese but try and pick one with a good melt.
More Biscuit Recipes
- Cream Biscuits
- Baking Powder Biscuits
- Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe
- Three Ingredient Biscuits
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
Did you make this recipe and enjoy it? Be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe and share with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and through Email using the sharing buttons below.
What else are you going to enjoy with your homegrown yellow squash this summer?
Merissa has been blogging about and living the simple life since 2009 and has internationally published 2 books on the topic. You can read about Merissa’s journey from penniless to freedom on the About Page. You can send her a message any time from the Contact Page.
This Squash Cheddar Biscuit Recipe was originally published on Little House Living in July 2014. It has been updated as of July 2023.