Uses for Olive Oil
Finding multiple uses for a product is really fun and exciting! One look on Pinterest, and you can see the crazy amount of uses for coconut oil, plastic spoons, and even dryer lint! The alternative uses that people can come up with is insane!
Today, we’re going to explore a bunch of different uses for olive oil. This pantry staple can be used for much more than just salads! Check it out!
1. Treat a sunburn. The oil can soothe a mild sunburn by keeping it moisturized. Chilling in the fridge makes an even bigger impact!–Here are more sunburn remedies!
2. For dry lips. Mixing equal parts olive oil and beeswax will make an excellent balm. No beeswax? Just slather the oil on your lips.
–(You can also check out this recipe for Homemade Lip Balm.)
3. Cuticle oil. I have horrible cuticles, especially during the winter. This is a great way to keep them moisturized and from cracking.
4. Cradle Cap. Put a little on baby’s head and gently exfoliate with a warm rag. Rinse well with warm water.
5. Get paint off of your skin. Rub oil into paint and wipe away!
6. Sugar face scrub. Mix olive oil and sugar to make an awesome exfoliator for your face.
–Here’s a great Sugar Scrub Recipe.
7. Cleansing oil. Wash your face with equal parts olive and castor oil. Rinse and wipe off with a warm rag.
8. Carrier for essential oils. Most essential oils can not be used topically without a carrier. Olive oil works perfectly!
9. Hot oil treatment for hair. Warm up a container of olive oil. Massage into hair and wrap with towel for 30 mins. Rinse well!
10. Eye makeup remover. Massage into closed eyes and rinse to get rid of even waterproof mascara.
11. Use instead of butter in recipes. Great substitute! Just use a bit less than what’s called for.
12. Prevent mosquitoes from breeding. If you have a rain barrel, add some olive oil to create a layer on top that prevents mosquito larvae from contaminating the water.
–Here are more ways to prevent mosquitoes.
13. Kill lice. Warm olive oil and comb through scalp. Wrap in towel for at least 30 mins. Repeat every ten days until completely cleared.
14. Use as Goo Gone. Saturate a sticker and rub in. Peel sticker off to remove.
15. Ease an earache. Warm olive oil and drop in ear. Massage for relief. For an infection, infuse the oil with garlic.
16. Clean measuring cups. Coat your measuring cups to allow sticky stuff to slide out easier. (like peanut butter!)
17. Condition your cutting board. Rub a little oil into your board with a cloth to condition a dried out, wooden board.
18. Non-smelling shoe polish. Run into shoes with a cloth to bring back shine without the horrible smell!
19. Alternative to shaving cream. Slather onto skin for a super close, yet moisturizing shave!
–Here’s a great recipe for Homemade Shaving Cream too if you want to go a step further!
20. Help kitty pass hairballs. By adding about 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil to your cat’s food everyday, it may help ease hairballs through their system.
21. Remove gum from hair. Massage into area where gum in present and leave on for five minutes. The gum should slide out.
There are so many uses for olive oil! If you have even more olive oil left after doing some of the things on this list you might want to consider making Olive Oil Candles!
Looking for more uses for common household ingredients?
What do you do with olive oil besides cooking? Do you have any more uses for olive oil to add to this list?