If you are just starting to make homemade body products, this homemade Vanilla Lip Balm recipe is great to start with. It’s super simple, only 3 ingredients that just need to be melted together.
Homemade Vanilla Lip Balm Recipe
I love not having chapped lips in the winter, but I don’t like regular lip balm from the store. I know there are a lot of natural choices out there, but unfortunately for me, most of them have sunflower oil (and I just happen to be allergic). They can also cost a pretty penny…
It turns out that it’s really easy to make your own though! It only takes a few ingredients with this simple recipe for homemade Lip Balm and you can “flavor” it with any scent you want! I love vanilla scented anything so I was happy to find a vanilla oil on Amazon to use. It didn’t mix in as well as I wanted, but it still scented the lip balm. (Vanilla isn’t truly an essential oil, but it’s much better for you to use in homemade goods than a fragrance oil since the oil is at least made from real vanilla.)
And hey, if you love simple recipes like this you might also enjoy my book, Little House Living: The Make Your Own Guide to a Frugal, Simple, Self Sufficient Life. It’s filled with over 130 mix and DIY recipes that are easy and from scratch!
Tips for Making Homemade Vanilla Lip Balm
- If you are looking for a true essential oil to use in this recipe that would have the same notes of vanilla, I would recommend Balsam of Peru Oil. It has a wonderful woody, vanilla-like scent that would be perfect for lip balm.
- So here’s all you need to make a batch of at least 10-12 lip balms depending on the size of the containers you have to put them in.
- Use a saucepan just for making body products like this, not one of your regular cooking saucepans. The beeswax is nearly impossible to clean out so I just use a pan I picked up at the thrift store.
- Don’t want to make your own Lip Balm and would rather buy it instead? I love the natural lip balms from Made On!
–Want to make gloss instead of balm? Here’s my recipe for Homemade Lip Gloss.
Vanilla Homemade Lip Balm
- 2 Tablespoons Beeswax (I buy mine on Pronounce)
- 2 Tablespoons Shea Butter (I buy mine on Pronounce)
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (I buy mine from Azure Standard)
- essential oil (optional, Balsam of Peru works well for a true EO)
- Empty and clean lip balm tubes
How to make Vanilla Lip Balm
Step One: Melt together the beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil.
Step Two: Add in the drops of essential oil depending on how strongly you want it flavored (or you don’t have to add any). I added about 12 drops to mine.
Step Three: Use an eye dropper (or an old clean medicine dispenser will work) while the liquid is still hot and fill your containers. If it starts to cool before you finish just heat it back up to the liquid state. You may want to place your tubes on parchment paper before you add the liquid for easy cleanup.
This batch makes about 10-12 small containers or tubes. I purchase my empty containers on Amazon. (And they are reusable of course so they pay for themselves many times over!) I’ve used both the standard lip balm tubes and the little plastic “pots”. Either will work great!
Set the tubes/pots aside once they have been filled and let them cool without being disturbed.
Remember that in warm temperatures this Vanilla lip balm recipe might melt so keep it in a cool place or in the fridge if you have to. Enjoy!
Variations to Homemade Vanilla Lip Balm
- Add Peppermint Oil instead of the vanilla for a fun minty scent
- Skip all of the essential oils for an unscented version (use expeller pressed coconut oil as well)
- Add in a bit of honey for an additional moisturizing quality
- Add Mango Butter as an alternative to Shea Butter
- Add Cocoa Butter instead of Shea Butter for a “chocolate” scented lip balm!
Looking for some other fun DIY projects to try? You might love my Homemade Vaseline, Coconut Oil Lotion, Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Body Scrub, or another project on our Make Your Own page.
Decided that you’d rather not make your own lip balm? You can support a small business and still get a wonderful natural handmade lip balm from Made On!
Looking for more fun DIY projects that you can make quickly and easily? My book, Little House Living: The Make Your Own Guide to a Frugal, Simple, and Self Sufficient Life has over 130 recipes just like this one!
Have you ever made your own recipe for homemade Lip Balm? How did it turn out? What flavors do you like to add?
This blog post has been updated as of December 2018.