This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
Are you ready to indulge in a mouthwatering treat that’s as easy to make as it is delicious? Today, we have a mouthwatering and budget-friendly recipe for you – a 6 Ingredient Cranberry Cake! Not only is this cake super simple to whip up, but it also fits perfectly with the holiday season.
Easy Cranberry Cake
Firstly, let’s talk about the ingredients. All you need are six simple items that you most likely already have in your pantry: flour, sugar, baking powder, milk, butter, and fresh (or frozen) cranberries. That’s it! No need to break the bank on fancy ingredients.
Ingredients in Cranberry Cake
The main cranberry cake only needs 6 simple ingredients, but you will need some extra ingredients for the sauce.
Ingredients for the Cake:
- Sugar. Yes, this is a cake, and it needs sugar! I used regular white sugar in this recipe.
- Flour. You can use plain all-purpose flour in this recipe. All-purpose gluten-free flour will also work.
- Baking powder. This is our leavening agent for this recipe to help your cake rise and not be so dense. If you are making a gluten-free version of this cake, you also might want to add an egg to keep it from getting crumbly.
- Milk. Whole milk works best in this recipe. You can also use coconut milk or another milk alternative if you are looking for something glutn-free. If you want something different, try using orange juice in place of the milk!
- Butter. Salted or unsalted butter will both work fine. You can use shortening if you are making a dairy-free version.
- Cranberries. Either fresh or frozen cranberries work in this recipe. You can also use canned cranberries, but make sure to fold them in last.
Ingredients for the sauce:
- Sugar. Just a little more sugar to make this sauce nice and sweet!
- Half n’ half. You can use cream or milk if you don’t have this. Evaporated milk is also good here.
- Butter. It can’t be a butter sauce without butter! You can use vegan buttery spread if you need it to be dairy-free.
- Salt and Vanilla Extract. This will add a little more flavor to the sauce.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Cranberry Cake
To make the cake, sift together all the dry ingredients. Pour the melted butter and milk into the dry mixture and stir until well combined, but do not overmix.
Stir in the cranberries and pour into a 9” round cake pan that is well-greased or a non-stick pan.
Place the mixture in a 375-degree oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Your cake is ready! It’s that quick and simple.
To make the sauce, place all the ingredients into a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a low boil for 5 minutes.
Allow it to cool and serve with the cake!
Tip: Do not add sauce until ready to serve or serve it on the side to prevent the cake from getting soggy.
Cranberry Cake with Warm Butter Sauce Recipe
A simple 6 ingredient cake that is perfect for the Holidays!
Ingredients for the cake:
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 ½ tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup cranberries fresh or frozen
Ingredients for the sauce:
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup half n’ half
- 1 tbsp butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
How to make the cake:
Sift all the dry ingredients together.
Pour the melted butter and milk into the dry mixture and stir until well combined, but do not overmix.
Stir in the cranberries.
Pour into a 9” round cake pan that is well-greased or a non-stick pan.
Place mixture in a 375-degree oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
How to make the sauce:
Place all the ingredients into a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a low boil for 5 minutes.
Allow to cool and serve with the cake!
Not only is this cake easy to make, but it’s also a great way to use up any leftover cranberries from Thanksgiving. Plus, it’s a healthier alternative to other holiday desserts since cranberries are packed with antioxidants and vitamins. There you have it – a simple yet delicious 6 Ingredient Cranberry Cake recipe that’s perfect for frugal and busy moms.
Got some leftover cranberries? This Cranberry Orange Mini Bread Loaf recipe is a must-try!
Can I use frozen cranberries instead of fresh ones?
Yes, you can use frozen cranberries instead of fresh ones. Just make sure to thaw them first and drain any excess liquid before using them in the cranberry cake recipe.
Can I substitute the flour with almond flour or coconut flour for a gluten-free version of this recipe?
Yes, you can substitute all-purpose flour with almond flour or coconut flour for a gluten-free version of the easy cranberry cake recipe. However, keep in mind that the texture and taste of the cake may be slightly different from the original recipe.
Do I need to cook cranberries before baking?
No. You don’t need to cook cranberries when adding them to baked goods like this cranberry cake recipe. Keep in mind, though, that raw cranberries are usually tart so some recipes require you to cook them first before mixing them with other ingredients.
Have you tried making cranberry cakes? Share your baking tips below! I would love to hear them.
Thanks to Linda for this guest post today!
This recipe for 6 Ingredient Cranberry Cake was originally posted on Little House Living in November 2023.