For the last 12 years, our family has been ordering the majority of our bulk foods (and the majority of our groceries) through Azure Standard coop each month. Each month I get many comments and emails asking about ordering with Azure so I thought I’d try and condense everything you need to know into one post so in case you too were wondering about ordering from Azure Standard, this guide will help you get started!
What Is Azure Standard?
Azure Standard is a bulk buying coop. The awesome thing about them is that you don’t necessarily have to buy the products they sell in bulk, making it easy for anyone to order.
You can order from Azure through UPS delivery (but only dry goods) or by the standard method of semi-truck deliveries. (Monthly or in some areas, bi-monthly)
Thanks to all of our moving around, I’ve ordered with Azure in different states and in many different drop locations, even being a drop coordinator myself. I can tell you that with some minor differences depending on the drop, most drop locations will run in a very similar way to how I’m describing here.
How Do I Get Connected and Set Up an Account with Azure?
To first find out if Azure is in your area you will need to call or check the schedule of deliveries on their website. It’s easy to just give them a call because you will need to get signed up with them (it’s free!) and find out the phone number of your drop site manager. They’ve also made it very easy to sign up online if you know which drop site you want to join and if the drop is showing that it’s “open” to new members.
Each truck drop site has a manager that will contact you each month and let you know what time the delivery will be. Azure will also send you an email each month with the drop pickup information.
If there is not a delivery drop in your area and if you are already on a route, you can also talk to Azure about starting your own drop site in your town as long as you and some friends can meet the minimum drop amount.
We did this in a town that we lived in and even though we had a small group (only 4 or 5 of us ordering) we still met the minimum each month so that we could continue to get orders to our town.
How Do I Order from Azure?
The easiest way to order is to simply order on the Azure Standard website. You can add items to your cart, see prices and descriptions and quantity on hand.
Once you order, Azure will send you an email confirmation so you know your order was placed. You will need a drop site number (that you get from your drop manager) before you can order to ensure it goes to the right drop unless you signed up online under a specific drop location.
When you order, keep in mind that you may have to pay a shipping fee (ours is 8.5% of total). When you order make sure you check out the sales and the bargain bin that are available to see online (you can also order a free sales flyer with your order, sales are once every 2 months).
What Do I Order from Azure?
Azure sells everything from fresh produce to baby diapers and everything in between! We order the majority of our monthly groceries from them each month. The best way to decide what to order is to work on making your grocery list through the month so you don’t forget anything and make sure to create a meal plan for the upcoming month so you know what you will need.
If you need more details, I created a big blog post on What to Order from a Bulk Coop.
My Favorites Items to Order from Azure
I have so many items that I love to order each month from Azure Standard. Here are a few to give you some ideas of what to order!
- Bulk Cream Cheese
- Dried Onion
- Bulk Garlic Granules
- Turbinado Sugar
- Any Fresh Produce! (but especially apples and onions)
- Frozen Fruits and Vegetables (we like the Stahlbrush brand)
- Country Save Detergent
- Brown Rice Pasta
- Whole Milk Yogurt
- Bulk Oats
Other Tips and Tricks for Ordering from Azure
- Make sure to plan plenty of time to pick up your order. The truck may not be right on time and it takes longer to put away a large load of bulk foods than you think!
- Not everything from your order may come in depending on stock on hand. The best way to find out if something is available before you order is to call and make sure. There is still no guarantee that it will be available when the truck is loaded though. This is why I try and keep a little extra of everything on hand when I can.
- If you are interested in buying produce, make sure to check right before your order is due. Produce can be added or removed from the website daily.
- There is one sale flyer every other month. Stock up on your favorites during that time!
- There is no minimum order for a semi-truck delivery (besides the total drop order minimum) but if you purchase under $50 you will be charged a fee.
- Be sure and check the discount section before you order, you might find a bargain!
—Learn Everything About Buying in Bulk Here.
Have you ever ordered from Azure? What are your favorite things to buy?
This blog post on a Beginner’s Guide to Azure was originally posted on Little House Living in July 2014. It has been updated as of April 2020.