If you’re looking for a simple bathroom cleaner, you need to try this homemade grapefruit cleaner. It just takes two all-natural, non-toxic ingredients to make your bathroom look and smell fresh and clean!
Cleaning with Grapefruit
I’m sure you’ve heard of the cleaning power of citrus before. Maybe you’ve even bought cleaners with some kind of citrus essential oil in them. But I’m guessing you haven’t made a cleaner quite like this one before.
–Check out all of the benefits and uses for Grapefruit Essential Oil.
This simple cleaner uses only two ingredients and a little elbow grease to make your sinks, tubs and other bathroom surfaces shine! Not only will they shine, but they’ll be left with the fresh, sweet scent of grapefruit.
Like lemon, grapefruit is a powerhouse cleaner. The acidic nature of grapefruit gives it several properties that make it an excellent cleaning tool:
- Natural Solvent- Grapefruit breaks down tough hard water stains, soap residue, and limescale.
- Neutralizes Odors- Replace those unpleasant odors with the fresh, uplifting and clean scent of fresh grapefruit.
- Works on multiple surfaces- It cleans and shines stainless steel, porcelain, aluminum, copper and even glass. Making it perfect for use on all of your bathroom surfaces.
- Antibacterial- Germs can’t live in the acidic environment grapefruits and other citrus fruits have naturally.
–Find more benefits of citrus with these Creative Household Lemon Oil Uses.
Grapefruit Bathroom Cleaner
Here’s what you need to make Grapefruit Cleaner:
Oh yes. That’s it. Could it be any easier?
Here’s what you do:
1. First, wet the shower/tub/sink or whatever bathroom surface you need to clean.
2. Sprinkle the salt all over the areas that you put water on in the bathroom. (I felt a little bit like I was sprinkling fairy dust all over on this step or something. ) A good, coarse salt works best for this.
The water helps the salt stick to the surface you are cleaning. If you have a really tough stain, you can also squeeze a tiny bit of grapefruit juice on it to help it stick too.
3. Cut your grapefruit in half.
4. Using half of the grapefruit as you would use a sponge, start scrubbing! Make sure you squeeze the grapefruit as you are going along so that nice citrusy juice gets all over the surfaces, releasing those cleansing properties we talked about earlier.
5. When you are done scrubbing, rinse off the area you cleaned with water or wipe it down with a wet rag to remove any remaining juice, salt or pulp.
6. Enjoy your clean bathroom!
One thing I love about this Grapefruit and Salt Cleaner recipe (besides how easy it is) is that it is completely non-toxic and uses all-natural ingredients. Depending on the season or your location, you can probably find grapefruit pretty frugally too!
Ready to move on and make more of your own cleaners? Here are a few to get you started:
If you love this Homemade Bathroom Cleaner recipe you will absolutely love my book, Little House Living: The Make Your Own Guide to a Frugal, Simple, and Self-Sufficient Life. It features 130 recipes just like these that are perfect for your household!
Have you ever tried this grapefruit bathroom cleaner before?
This Grapefruit Cleaner Recipe was originally published on Little House Living in November 2011. It has been updated as of November 2019.