I thought it’s would be fun to share with you some common things that I never buy in order to save money and the substitutions I’ve come up with to take their places.
- Any butter in a container. I only buy butter by the pound in the sticks. I don’t even buy or use vegetable spreads. To make whipped butter at home, soften one pound of butter and whip with a few ounces of olive oil. I even saved an old butter container to put mine in so theres no confusion in the fridge!
- Cheap paint. Learn your lesson from my mistakes, sometimes paying more money really is worth it for the end result. I painted my entire house in some paint I got free after rebate and now only 2 years later I’m going to have to paint it all over again. And I can tell you for sure which brand I will not be buying this time.
- Commercial cleaners.(Unless they are free) Vinegar at Sam’s club is only about 1.50 a gallon. One gallon of vinegar will make me more cleaners than I could ever possibly buy for 1.50, plus you know what’s going into your cleaners!
- Microwave popcorn. I buy popcorn in bulk and I have one of THESE to cook it in the microwave with no extra oil and butter. It’s much healthier and much cheaper than I could ever get the pre-packed kind for.
- Books. You can buy an almost new copy of the same book on Amazon for much less than the original price. You can also get so many books for free from Paperback Swap.
- A cell phone. Why would you spend $200-$300 on a phone when both Verizon and Alltel have free ones all the time? You are just going to replace that phone in a year or two anyways. And the free one is going to work just as well as the $300 one.