Homemade Tater Tots
I used to love Tater Tots until we started eating from scratch foods. The ingredients on the bag were always questionable (even on the organic ones!) and besides, they were much too expensive to fit into my regular food budget and rarely ended up being worth the cost.
But Tater Tots are a fun treat to have every so once in a while and as it turns out (like with most homemade food experiments) they are not so difficult to make and much cheaper than their store counterparts!
This recipe for homemade Tater Tots you can make and then enjoy warm, fresh from the pan, or you can flash freeze and enjoy later when you need them. You can use these as a substitute on casseroles and other dishes as well or just enjoy with some Homemade Ketchup!
Homemade Tator Tots
Skip the preservatives on the store version and make your own homemade Tator Tots!
- 8 medium potatoes, cooked and peeled
- 4 Tablespoons Flour (can be Gluten Free Flour)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Oil for frying
- Finely shred potatoes while they are still warm. Place them in a large bowl, stir in flour and salt. (Without mashing them)
- Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a frying or sauce pan. Form into small balls ( a cookie dough scoop works great) and drop into oil. Fry till slightly golden.
- Drain on paper towels, eat immediately or cool and then flash freeze. To flash freeze, place the homemade Tater Tots on a baking tray in the freezer until frozen, remove and store in a freezer container or bag until ready to use.
- To re-heat after frozen, place tots on a baking tray and warm in the oven at 400 degrees until warm through.
Yum! These are such a fun little treat and so relatively easy to make! For a little variety you could add in Homemade Seasoning Salt instead of regular salt in this recipe.
What meal will you enjoy your homemade Tater Tots with?