Make sure to catch up on the full Farmhouse Renovation series!
Slowly but surely we are getting the rest of our interior renovation done. The pressure is on as the leaves are just starting to turn yellow here and we have so much to do outside on the farmhouse yet before we are ready for winter!
The bedroom in the farmhouse is the main room upstairs. It’s the same size as the living room so it’s a very large room. When we first looked at the house we knew that the bedroom needed some serious renovation (before we even knew about all the other issues the house would have). It’s a half story, attic style room and was still covered in the original plaster which was extremely cracked and flaking off the ceiling and walls. It all had to go. It’s hard to see the cracks in the before pictures, the room actually looks fairly nice.
This room had a newer window so luckily we did not have to replace it. There was no closet upstairs at all of course since the house was so old. The previous owners had simply put up a rod along the entire side of one wall which I wasn’t a fan of and simply don’t have near that many pieces of clothing!
I was thinking this room could use a few less antlers….just my personal opinion, not something I care to have decorating my bedroom. 🙂 he carpet was very stained and covering a huge hole in the floor that went down into the living room. Originally this hole was either a fireplace chimmney or just a large vent to help the heat from the downstairs get upstairs. You can’t see the hole in this picture but the chest is covering it up.
The plaster was the first to go. Messy messy plaster. Hubby created a chute from the upstairs to get the plaster out. You can see picture of it in the Landing Renovation post.
Then it was time for the lath to come off the walls and make room for insulation, new electricity, and sheetrock. There were many elements in this room that I wanted to reuse such as the door and the trim but when we started working in the room we found that it was too old and brittle and just broke into pieces. We did try and replicate all original trim.
We found these post cards tucked away behind the floor trim. They are from 1908 and 1910 and still have fun little notes written on them. At some point, the occupants of the house must have been from Wisconsin. 🙂
Here’s the new closet going in! It was hard to create a closet that followed the slope of the walls but I’ve decided after this project that my hubby is pretty much a genius and building anything! Here you can also see the new wiring for electric. Even the closet has a light bulb!
Brand new insulation went in the walls next. There was no insulation in the house at all when we purchased it. We are hoping that this winter we will be nice and cozy!
Under the carpet you can see the big hole that was in the floor.
It went right into the living room as you can see from my hubby’s feet hanging through the ceiling!
Hubby simply took some floorboards out of the kitchen (if you read the Kitchen Reno post you will remember that we had to replace that floor because of sloping) and filled in the hole. You can’t even tell that it was there!
Head back here to Little House Living on Thursday and I will have the After pictures ready for you!