This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
With just a few simple ingredients and a blender or food processor, you can whip up the creamiest, dreamiest black bean dip that will be the star of snack time. This simple plant-based dip comes together in 5 minutes flat.
Creamy Black Bean Dip
Once upon a time, I had a bunch of cans of black beans in my pantry, and I needed a filling snack. That was all it took to put together this super simple dip that now I can’t stop making!
I prefer this dip served cold, but you could serve it warm as well. This recipe makes a small batch…only enough for 1 or 2 people, but you can easily double it to have more for later.
Ingredients in Black Bean Dip
- Black Beans. I use canned black beans in this recipe because they are easy and convenient. If you have black beans that you’ve soaked and cooked, they would work in this recipe as well and be even more frugal.
- Cilantro. Fresh cilantro is a staple at my house. I grow it inside in the winter and summer. you use the stems and everything in this recipe since it all gets blended up.
- Garlic Powder. I’ve tried this recipe with fresh garlic and it had a little too much bite in it the next day for me. I prefer garlic powder but you can use either.
- Salt and Pepper. Just a little of these is all we need for flavoring.
- Smoked Salt (optional). I add a little smoked salt as well which I get from Azure. If you don’t have any you can leave it out.
- Lime Juice. I like using fresh lime juice because limes are something I always have on hand but if you don’t have them, use bottled lime juice.
- Olive Oil. This dip needs a little fat and it gets that from olive oil.
- Water. You need just a little water to be able to blend this and make a smooth dip.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Black Bean Dip
Start by draining the can of black beans into a strainer. You can also rinse them to get them clean.
Place the black beans into a food processor. Add in the olive oil, water, and lime juice first.
Add in the spices and a small amount of fresh (washed) cilantro. I added the stems and everything. I add a small amount of smoked salt in addition to the regular salt to give it a little bit of a smoky flavor but you can leave this out if you don’t have it.
Blend in the food processor until smooth.
Serve with chips, veggies, or anything else that you’d like to dip into black beans! I love this with Cassava chips when I can find them for a little bit healthier snack.
You can serve this dip warm or cold. I prefer it cold.
Creamy Black Bean Dip Recipe
How to make a simple, healthy black bean dip.
- 15 ounces Black Beans canned
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Cilantro fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- pinch Black Pepper
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
Combine all ingredients together in the food processor. Process until smooth and creamy Serve cold or warm.
What To Serve Black Bean Dip With
Serve this dip with your favorite crackers or tortilla chips. We don’t eat much corn so I serve this with cassava chips.
You could also serve this with raw veggies like carrots, celery, or cucumber slices.
To make this bean dip extra fancy, you could top it with sour cream, Monterey jack, or shredded cheddar cheese. You could also add a layer of salsa for more of a layered dip. This dip would also make a yummy filling for burritos!
How to Store Leftover Black Bean Dip
This recipe doesn’t make a huge batch, so you may not have any leftovers; however, if you do, you can simply store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. It may need to be stirred before serving again.
More Dip Recipes
- 7 Layer Taco Dip Recipe
- Jalapeno Popper Dip Recipe
- Taco Dip Recipe with Ground Beef
- Cream Cheese Spinach Dip Recipe
- Simple 5 Ingredient Recipe for White Cheese Dip
- 5 Ingredient Cream Cheese Taco Dip Recipe
- Easy Homemade Queso Dip: Completely From Scratch
- Homemade Dill Dip Recipe
This recipe for Easy Black Bean Dip was originally posted on Little House Living in November 2023.