Homemade Weed Killer
So we've taken care of the bug problem in our gardens, but what about weeds? They can be just as much of a terror as the little creepy crawlies. No matter if you have a full blown garden or just a patch of grass-weeds can creep in and mess it all up. Here are some tried and trued at-home remedies for homemade weed killer that can help battle these green monsters.
1. Vinegar. This is what we use the most to kill the weeds in our yard. Spray some on a sunny day and watch them burn up. Be careful though not to spray your grass or other plants.
2. Salt. Placing salt at the base of the plant will cause it to die. Now, this won't work if you're in rainy season.
3. Corn Meal. This is an option if you are not wanting ANYTHING to grow in a particular area. Spreading this around will cause any seeds in that area to cease to grow.
4. Burn Them. Running a slight flame (you can actually purchase a weed scorcher) over the weed will cause it to shrivel up and die. This is a pretty serious one!
5. Bleach. Not my favorite thing in the world, but it does work. Spraying the weed with bleach will definitely kill it. Again, make sure you're not spraying anything else except what you to want to be removed. The best thing? You'll only need to wait about four or five days to be able to use the soil for planting again.
6. Pull them up. Well, I know this is a "duh" moment, but there's nothing cheaper than just getting your hands dirty and pulling up the weeds yourself. Some say this is therapeutic- I can't say I agree!
7. Place down newspaper. This is another method we love. Before planting flowers, we always place a layer of newspaper down in order to keep weeds at bay. This works incredibly well. You do have to replace it after about a year, but that's okay with us!
8. Rubbing Alcohol. Spraying this on a weed will cause the very life of it to evaporate. Another extremely cheap option.
9. Boiling water. This will kill pretty much anything. Great for larger areas (like driveways) where you want everything to evacuate quickly!
10. Eat them up. I love this idea. Many common weeds can be eaten in a fresh salad like dandelion. Talk about using your resources to your advantage!
Getting rid of weeds doesn't mean running to the store and purchasing a bunch of chemicals to spray in your yard. As you can see, many items can be found right in your cupboards!
Do you have any other ways you've learned to get rid of weeds? Have you ever made your own homemade weed killer?
Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate. See my disclosure policy for more information.