Making crackers from scratch is so much fun and the homemade versions taste SO much better and fresher than the boxed ones at the store. Homemade Saltine Crackers are very inexpensive to make and are perfect for pairing with cheese, tasty dips, or just for munching.
I think I’m on a mission lately to figure out how to make all my favorite crackers from scratch. What I’m discovering is that they are so easy to make and so cheap! Even with coupons, most of the time I couldn’t purchase crackers for this cheap unless they were free. For example, these saltines take only 4 ingredients, one cup of flour costs me $0.12, the water is free, the salt is minimal, and the butter costs pennies. So it cost about $0.20 for a quart of saltines that are fresh and buttery with no preservatives- sounds like a good deal to me!
These Homemade Saltine Crackers aren’t a perfect match for store-bought saltine crackers but they are nice and basic which makes them a great substitute.
Homemade Saltine Crackers Recipe
Homemade Saltine Crackers
- 1 c. flour
- 2 T butter
- 6-7 T water
- 1/2 t. salt
- plus a little more salt and butter for the tops
Melt the butter and mix it well with the flour and salt.
Add the tablespoons of water slowly, one at a time, and mix them in well. Don't add too much water so the dough is too sticky. You want a nice smooth dough.
Roll out the dough until it very thin, about 1/8in. Transfer the rolled out dough to a greased cookie sheet.
Score with a pizza cutter. Brush the tops very lightly with butter and sprinkle with a little salt. You can leave out this step if you want unsalted crackers. Bake these at 400F for about 15 minutes. They will harden more once they start to cool.
Enjoy these plain or with a dip.
Homemade Saltine Crackers Tips & Substitutions
- If you can’t have dairy, you can replace the butter in this recipe with a mild vegetable oil or you can try this Buttery Spread which is great for baking.
- Need a gluten-free saltine cracker recipe? You can easily replace the flour in this recipe with All Purpose Gluten Free Flour. It works wonderfully! (Find more yummy gluten-free baking recipes in my ebook, Frugal Gluten-Free.)
- Use a Pastry Rolling Pin instead of a regular rolling pin. I’ve found that it works best for making homemade crackers.
- I’ve found that using a Baking Stone is the key to getting crispy crackers. You can use a pizza stone if that’s you have on hand or look for a rectangular baking stone.
Homemade Saltine Crackers Mix
I love to make homemade mixes for my pantry and so whenever I make this plain crackers recipe I put together an extra jar of mix for later as well. I doubled my original recipe so it would fit in the jar better. Plus, I like making more crackers at a time so I have a nice big batch and don’t have to make any for a while. And like the crackers, the mix is ridiculously simple.
Mix in the jar:
- 2 c. flour
- 1 t. salt
On the jar you can write:
“Mix jar ingredients with 2 T melted butter and 12 T. water. Roll out the dough and score. Sprinkle with salt. Bake at 350F until the tops are slightly browned.”
These Homemade Saltine Crackers are perfect to pair with yummy dips and spreads! Here are some of my favorites:
- Cream Cheese Spinach Dip
- Dill Dip
- Cheese Pimento Spread
- Easy Cheeseball Recipe
- Jalapeno Popper Dip Recipe
–Find more Homemade Cracker Recipes here!
If you love this easy cracker recipe, you will absolutely love my book, Little House Living: The Make Your Own Guide to a Frugal, Simple, and Self-Sufficient Life. It features 130 recipes just like this one that are perfect for your household!