This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
This Pumpkin Cake Muffins recipe is so good and easy. It is great because you can use pumpkin or any squash that you may have on hand. You can also make this into a cake or muffins or put in loaf pans. So easy and versatile!!
Pumpkin Cake Muffins
This delightfully easy recipe is perfect for fall because you can make so many different things out of this single recipe! Make it into muffins if you need a batch, a big cake for dessert, or yummy loaves or mini loaves if you need something for breakfast!
This recipe calls for pureed pumpkin which you can make instead of buy. I have a simple tutorial on Preserving Pumpkin here. You can also use pureed winter squash in this recipe as well. Did you know that many times when you buy “canned pumpkin” from the store, it’s actually canned pumpkin but rather a mixture of butternut squash, hubbard squash, and golden delicious squash. (See this article for more.)
Even companies that advertise 100% pumpkin are still mostly likely using winter squash. While there is nothing wrong with a hearty serving of winter squash, the only way to be sure you are actually using 100% pumpkin is to make the puree yourself. You can use either canned or homemade puree in this recipe but I thought that was an interesting fact!
Pumpkin Cake Muffins
- 2 cups flour or gluten free flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 t.easpoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups pumpkin or squash puree
Mix dry ingredients and stir in eggs, pumpkin (or squash), and oil. Beat with mixer. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until done (depending on what type pan you use).
Pumpkin Bread Muffin Recipe Notes
- You can make this into a 9 x 13 cake or 24 muffins or put in 2 large loaf pans or 8 mini loaf pans for Pumpkin Cake Bread. (Here’s my mini loaf pan I use!)
- You can use soft white wheat flour or all purpose gluten free flour in place of regular flour in this recipe
- You can cut the sugar in half without any problems.
- For the oil, you can use coconut oil, olive oil, or any type of vegetable oil.
- Use pumpkin or puree winter squash for variation. Both work great!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
No pumpkin pie spice on hand to add to this recipe? You can add these spices instead:
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
Simple Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
These Pumpkin Cake Muffins can be eaten plain or you can frost them to make a cake or cupcakes with this easy recipe.
- 3/4 stick butter, soft
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 t. vanilla
- enough powdered sugar to make desired thickness
Mix together with a hand mixer until creamy and smooth.
Looking for even more yummy pumpkin recipes to try this time of year? Here are some of our favorites:
Until next time, Julie
Do you enjoy making pumpkin recipes in the fall?
This Pumpkin Cake Muffins recipe was originally posted on Little House Living in October 2012. It has been updated as of September 2019.