This Lavender Eye Pillow Pattern is perfect for those days when you just need to take five minutes to sit down and relax!
Soothing Lavender Eye Pillow
Some days you just need to sit down, put your feet up and close your eyes for a little while. Usually, it’s in the summer, with a house full of produce that needs to be put up or used, laundry that needs catching up and dinner plans to make. I know this feeling, I live this feeling. A lot. Those days call for Soothing Lavender Eye Pillows and five minutes to yourself.
A few months back a dear friend gifted us a lavender eye pillow and it has become a family favorite. It’s so pleasant to just let it all go and relax for a few minutes. The weight of the beans feels so nice across your eyes and the lavender scent is light and lovely. You can make them for yourself using some recycled fabric or new fabric, some beans and dried lavender blossoms. Make them for friends or as gifts to other moms who sometimes need a break too. Once you start making them you’ll be inspired to make one for everyone you know who could use a few minutes to themselves.
–Looking for more DIY projects to give as gifts? Check out these Simple Homemade Gifts
Lavender Eye Pillow DIY
You will need:
- a piece of fabric 11×9 or so, make them bigger or smaller as needed
- sewing machine or sewing needle
- thread, matching or contrasting
- dried beans
- dried lavender flowers
Make a lavender eye mask pattern:
- Cut your fabric to 11×9 inches.
- Fold the fabric in half, right sides together, to make a 11×4.5 inch rectangle.
- Stich across the bottom and up the long side, using short stitches if using a sewing machine or small stitches if using a hand needle.
- Turn right side out and iron if desired.
- Fill the eye pillow 1/4 way with beans.
- Add lavender flowers or lavender (and chamomile if desired)
- Add more beans to fill about 1/2 way up, leaving enough room so that you can easily sew across the top.
- Fold edges in pin shut hand stitch across the top using a whip stitch or blanket stitch or machine sew if you would like.
–You can even dry your own lavender flowers! Drying and Preserving Flowers; What to Do With Dried Flowers
- You can use embroidery floss to embellish the seams if you would like.
- For an extra soothing eye pillow, store in the refrigerator or freezer when not in use.
- Alternately add a small amount of stuffing in with the beans to give the eye pillow more fluff.
- Add another scent to your lavender eye pillow DIY by adding dried chamomile blossoms
Did you have fun making this Lavender Eye Pillow pattern? Check out these other easy sewing projects:
Sewing on a Budget
Homemade Sandwich Bags Sewing Tutorial
Little Sewing Projects You Can Do in Your Spare Time
Easy Sewing Projects
Homemade Cloth Pads Tutorial and Pattern
How to Sew Placemats Quickly and Simply
Laura Sampson, a lifelong Alaskan, is the writer of Little House Big Alaska, an Alaska lifestyle blog. She’s a mom to three boys and attributes every gray hair and wrinkle to them. Laura shares her farmhouse with her husband, 2 dogs and 2 cats, the obligatory flock of chickens inhabit their own coop out back. She’s been blogging for 9 years and enjoys living the writer and social media influencer’s life.
This Homemade Eye Pillow Pattern was originally published on Little House Living in September 2017. It has been updated as of September 2019.