Do you plan on freezing foods so that you can build up your stockpile? Here’s a simple list of how long foods can last in the freezer.
Freezing Foods – How Long Do They Last?
I had a question a while back about storing certain foods in the freezer and I thought I’d type up a list of how long foods can last in the freezer. You can also print out this list HERE. Of course, this is just a general guideline and your experience may vary but this should give you a good base to work from if you are planning on freezing foods.
- Chicken and Turkey Uncooked ~ 9 months
- Beef Steaks ~ 6 to 9 months
- Pork Chops ~ 4 to 6 months
- Lamb Chops ~ 6 to 9 months
- Beef Roasts ~ 6 to 12 months
- Raw Fish ~ 6 months
- Breaded Fish ~ 3 months
- Shrimp ~ 12 months
- Bacon ~ 1 month
- Cooked Ham ~ 1 to 2 months
- Hamburger ~ 3 to 4 months
- Chicken and Turkey Cooked ~ 4 to 6 months
- Sausages ~ 1 to 2 months
- Wild Game ~ 9 to 12 months
Fruits and Veggies
- Fruit Pies ~ 9 months
- Fruit ~ 6 to 12 months
- Guacamole ~ 3 to 4 months
- Juices ~ 6 to 12 months
- Veggies ~ 8 months
- Butter ~ 6 to 9 months
- Ice Cream ~ 2 months
- Milk ~ 3 months
- Cheese ~ 6 to 12 months
- Bread ~ 3 months
- Cakes ~ 3 months
- Cookies(dough or baked) ~ 3 months
- Bagels ~ 2 months
- Pancakes ~ 2 months
- Egg Substitutes ~ 12 months
- Frozen Dinners ~ 3 to 4 months
- Whipped Topping ~ 6 months
Extending Life in the Freezer
With almost all foods, you can extend their freezer life if you take certain steps before freezing. One of these steps is to use a vacuum sealer and seal up your freezer foods before freezing. This won’t be the best method to use with things like breads, but it’s a great method for fruits, vegetables, and meats.
Once an item has been vacuum sealed, it can last in the freezer for up to several years without getting freezer burnt. If you plan on storing quite a bit of food in the freezer, you might want to consider a vacuum sealer. I personally have this Geryon Vaccum Sealer (it was less expensive and had more options than the standard Foodsaver) but many people I know like to use the Foodsaver Brand Vacuum Sealers.
You can also watch a video of me using a vacuum sealer below to get an idea of how they work.
Below you can find a handy printable to remind you how long foods are good when stored in the freezer. Print out this freebie and place it in your Homestead Management Binder for a quick reminder when you need it.
Looking for more things to put in the freezer? Here’s a list of the freezer meals I have posted:
- Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- Cheesy Chicken Crescents Freezer Meal Recipe
- Freezer Cooking in an Hour (Gluten Free & Real Food!)
- Cook Ahead Freezer Rice
- Freezer Beef N Bean Burritos
- Make Ahead Breadsticks
- Make Ahead Casserole – French Toast
Find more Make Ahead Meals here.
What am I’ missing on this list? In your experience, how long do some of these items last in the freezer? Do you still eat them even if you leave them in the freezer longer?
This blog post on Freezing Foods was originally posted on Little House Living in April 2010. It has been updated with current information as of August 2020.