Easy Cheeseburger Bake Recipe – Frugal Weeknight Meal
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
Looking for a quick and easy meal that the whole family will love? This Cheeseburger Bake Recipe is easy to make from scratch and will be a filling meal for everyone!
Cheeseburger Bake Recipe
One night I wanted to make something simple for supper using the meat in the freezer. (Which was down to ground beef and chicken thighs!)
This was simple to make and so yummy! Plus, my husband was happy because it had meat in it! (He doesn’t consider it a meal without meat, I’m sure he isn’t the only one!) And, unlike many Cheeseburger Casseroles, this one does not contain pasta. Think of it more as a beef pot pie than a noodle casserole.
If you are looking for something frugal and easy to make with pantry and freezer ingredients, this is a great recipe idea.
Ingredients in Cheeseburger Bake Casserole Recipe
- Ground Beef. If it’s not lean ground beef, drain the fat off before adding it to the casserole. You could also use ground turkey for a leaner dish.
- Onion. Yellow onion or another sweet onion works best in this recipe but you can use another kind if that’s all you have.
- Garlic Salt. If you don’t have some garlic salt on hand, add equal amounts of garlic and salt to the recipe.
- Cheddar Cheese. If you have a different kind of cheese, that would be ok too! Cheddar will give the best strong flavor.
- Baking Mix. The recipe follows you will need flour, butter, baking powder, sugar, and salt. You can also use a store-bought baking mix instead if you have that. Or use the Pancake Mix recipe in my book, Little House Living.
- Milk. Regular whole milk will work; you could also replace this with a milk alternative.
- Eggs. The eggs are essential for keeping this casserole together and providing more protein and a stronger flavor.
Variations and Serving Suggestions for the Cheeseburger Bake
- Add cooked, crumbled bacon for a Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole.
- Add in or serve with broccoli for more veggies.
- Add in a little tomato paste (maybe even a little mustard?) to the ground beef if you like the “ketchup” taste and flavor of a regular burger.
- Serve with a salad for more veggies and a more complete meal.
Homemade Baking Mix Recipe
You will need a batch of baking mix for this recipe. You can use store-bought or you can use the recipe below.
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
There will be lumps from the butter, but don’t worry about it. This Baking Mix recipe is enough to make two recipes of Cheeseburger Bake, so stick the rest in the fridge if you are only making one or cut the recipe in half if that is easier for you.
Also note, if you have a larger family, this recipe only makes a 9×9 inch baking dish. If you double the recipe and use a 9×13 baking dish you will use all the baking mix.
Instructions for Making the Easy Cheeseburger Bake Recipe
Chop up the onions.
Make the baking mix. (Recipe is above.)
To assemble the Cheeseburger Bake Recipe….
In a large skillet, brown the onions and hamburger together. (I have this 12 inch Cast Iron Skillet from Lodge.) Stir in a little garlic salt for taste. (You could also add some black pepper for more flavor as well.)
Use 1/2 cup of the baking mix we made above and mix in 2 eggs and a cup of milk. Set aside.
Put the beef mixture in a greased 9″ baking dish.
Sprinkle the cheese on top the brown hamburger.
Pour the baking mix/milk/egg mixture on top of the shredded cheese. Bake in the oven at 400F for 25 minutes or until the top is browned.
Need to print this Cheeseburger Bake Recipe for your Recipe Binder? Grab it below:
Cheeseburger Bake Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- garlic salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup baking mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
Brown the onions and hamburger together.
Add in a little garlic salt for taste.
Use 1/2 c. of the baking mix and mix in 2 eggs and a cup of milk. Set aside.
Put the browned hamburger/onions in a greased 9" pan.
Sprinkle the cheese on top the brown hamburger.
Pour the baking mix/milk/egg mixture on top of the shredded cheese.
Bake at 400F for 25 minutes or until the top is browned.
Gluten Free Cheeseburger Bake
Replace the flour with all-purpose gluten-free flour in the baking mix. The rest of the recipe is naturally gluten free but be sure and double check your ingredients before adding.
Dairy Free Cheeseburger Bake
Replace the cheese with non-dairy cheese. Use a milk alternative like coconut milk in place of the milk. Use a non-dairy buttery spread or shortening instead of the butter in the baking mix.
How to Store Leftover Cheeseburger Bake
If you don’t want to take the casserole out of the baking pan, cover with a lid or plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you are ready to reheat and eat.
You can also remove it from it’s original baking dish and place leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
If you want to turn this into a freezer meal, place the unbaked casserole in a foil baking dish (that you can freeze, bake, and toss). Place more foil over the top. Label with the baking instructions and put in the freezer until you are ready to enjoy. It may need more baking time if you don’t thaw it first.
More Easy Supper Recipes
- BBQ Meatballs
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Stretching a Buck Lasagna
- Spaghetti Sauce from Scratch
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Cheap and Easy Recipes with Ground Beef
Do you think your family will enjoy this Cheeseburger Bake Recipe?
Did you make this recipe and enjoy it? Be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card! Also, don’t forget to share with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and through Email using the sharing buttons.
This Cheeseburger Bake recipe was originally posted on Little House Living in November 2010 and has been updated as of February 2023.
that looks so simple and delicious, i cant wait to try this, than you so much, im enjoying your site alot, its exactly what i been looking for
Hi, I have tried so many of your recipes. I am not the best cook, but they turn out pretty good! I have a young child and could no longer feed her all the processed junk out there. You make it so easy to cook from scratch on a daily basis. I just wanted to say thank you!!! I just tried the cheeseburger bake last night, and it tasted very good. I still have some of the baking mix left…do you have other recipes to use it with? It was so good I don’t want to waste it 😉
Made this tonight… the only thing I did different was I added pepper and garlic powder. Everything else was exact. Very good!! The picky hubs even gave a thumbs up. Definitely going back on the menu
This is so cool! It’s like baking your own burger they way you like it. Can’t believe I never thought of doing something like this.
Is the topping just a pared down version of the all-purpose baking mix from your book? I have leftover and wonder if I should just add it to the baking mix I made from your book.
Yes it’s a similar recipe so you should be able to mix them together.